We recently saw the eagerly awaited launch of Phase 2D here at Emberton Estate.
This exciting next phase of Emberton growth has introduced 36 gorgeous new one and two bedroom apartments available for purchase, starting from R850 000. Situated in the heart of Hillcrest, Emberton Estate creates a modern, convenient and engaged lifestyle that resonates with investors, as well as young and upwardly mobile homeowners who are looking for a secure and welcoming place to call home.
With the good news from the Reserve bank that the interest rate will remain unchanged at 7%, this is a prime opportunity to invest in your next home. This is the lowest the prime lending rate has been in 5 decades so there’s never been a better time to expand your property portfolio or buy a home for the first time. If you are thinking of investing in a unit to let, or upscaling, now is the perfect time to do so.
Options available in Phase 2D feature spacious pet-friendly gardens on the ground floor or generous sunny patios on the first floor. These open-plan apartments offer sleek designer finishes, feature walls, and a light and airy feel that allow you to embrace a holistic ambience that focuses on family living at its finest. Amongst a safe environment and a welcoming neighbourhood, Emberton Estate presents stylish community living at an affordable price.
Celebrity chef Ray Friedman of everybody’s favourite restaurant, Ray’s Kitchen at Emberton Estate, has shared a sensational salad to rival all others!
If 2020 taught us anything, it’s highlighted the importance of family, children and community! We therefore decided to conjure up a magical salad that celebrates, togetherness and our South African lifestyle! Our celebrity chef Ray Friedman of Emberton’s Ray’s Kitchen, let us in on his most sensational secret – and Ray’s Sassy Summer Salad is going to be your new favourite favourite! It’s fresh and it’s just a little extravagant, in keeping with Durban’s year-round sublime climate.
On the menu:
Panko crusted asparagus, marinated artichoke and herby goat’s cheese on baby leaves with a lime vinaigrette.
Ingredients for a salad for 2:
· 12 medium asparagus
· 1/2 a cup artichoke hearts
· 1 cup Panko crumbs
· Goat’s cheese (we use Belnori balls)
· 1 bag mixed baby leaves
· 2 eggs, beaten and seasoned
· Sunflower oil for frying
For the artichoke marinate:
· 1 bunch/handful Italian parsley, chopped
· 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· Pinch salt and pepper
· Splash white wine vinegar
· 1/4 teaspoon pickled oregano
For the dressing:
· 40ml lime juice
· 40ml white wine vinegar
· 250ml light olive oil
· pinch salt and pepper
· 1 teaspoon honey (runny)
· 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
Drench the asparagus in flour, dip in egg wash, roll in Panko and shallow fry in sunflower oil until golden – set aside.
Drain artichoke hearts and halve – gently mix in parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano.
For the lime dressing, whisk the mustard and honey into the vinegar and lime juice, and slowly add the olive oil whisking with vigour to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
Build the salad by gently layering leaves into the middle of the bowl – place the artichokes and goat’s cheese on the leaves, and dress with the dressing. Finish with the crunchy asparagus and a crack of fresh black pepper.
Adapted as published in The Crest Magazine, Dec-Jan 2021, Issue 98
From young families to get-up-and-go professionals, this Hillcrest lifestyle estate has grown and moved with the times and the market. It’s all about community, and Emberton has that and more.
Hillcrest may have grown from a little country village far from the madding crowd, into a sassy urban one, but it definitely hasn’t left its glorious country roots or community vibe behind. It’s that sense of community in a gentle nature-based setting, which makes Emberton Estate such an appealing place to put down roots.
For newcomers to the area, it’s a wonder to discover that the village of Hillcrest offers the wonderfully natural environment of old trees and green expanses, horses, mountain bike tracks, outdoor markets…all within a stone’s throw of top-notch retail, commercial and office facilities. Living on an estate like Emberton, residents can access everything from world-class schools, to horse riding lessons and a mountain bike trail, in a matter of minutes. It’s this unique, multifaceted type of residential estate which resonates with the needs of so many young people moving into the Hillcrest area. This young, entrepreneurial energy is a positive force for the village of Hillcrest, and breathes new life, fresh ideas and a dynamic dimension into a community.
Over a quarter of Emberton residents work within Hillcrest and the Upper Highway belt. One of Hillcrest’s major advantages is its close proximity and easy access to the M4 freeway, and in this estate – a hop, skip and jump from the M4 – many residents head west to Pietermaritzburg, or east to Durban and the North Coast. The position is unsurpassed. When Emberton land was first brought to the attention of the experienced developers, Collins Residential, that easy accessibility to everywhere was considered a major drawcard. It’s proven absolutely correct, as global trends lean heavily towards easy accessibility to places of work – with less time spent in traffic – more compact living where communities share facilities and therefore costs, and a connection to nature which fosters health and wellbeing. Hillcrest and Emberton tick all three boxes.
Emberton is certainly coming of age, as the new phase of the estate is poised to launch. The configuration of these homes has been precisely what the market wanted, and this phase, too, will respond to the needs of prospective homeowners. As Collins Residential project specialist Pat Lambie says, “Young people are looking for affordable, quality homes where they can begin this phase of their lives in what they consider to be a healthier, happier environment in which to work, play, and raise children. They choose Upper Highway because they see it as ‘country’…far from the negatives of city living!” He added, “They are, however, realistic, and therefore very drawn to the exemplary security of an estate like Emberton.”
Although estate living in South Africa is becoming increasingly around lifestyle within the estate, the advantage of living in Hillcrest is the volume of brilliant restaurant and entertainment opportunities five minutes from the Emberton gatehouse. It’s wonderful to have the heated lap pool, tennis court, clubhouse, BMX track, playground and more right on your doorstep for the children, but equally, it’s great to move in and out of the greater Hillcrest community and enjoy what the village has to offer.
As modern as life here has become, there’s something still a little historical and old-worlde-values about the area and this estate. And everybody likes it just like that. At Emberton, when the evening lampposts comes on…it’s time for the children to leave their friends or the playground, and go home. There’s something about that return to old fashioned values which people are yearning for…knowing your neighbours, and not only being part of the community but playing your part effectively.
Emberton Estate has come of age. It’s mirrored the growth and maturing of Hillcrest, and provided the ideal homes, lifestyle and community that young people want and can afford.
Ray’s Kitchen in Emberton Estate was thrilled to host the dream team of The Crest – everybody’s favourite mag – for their 100th edition celebration! It was a very festive occasion, and we loved spoiling these Famous Publishing creatives who always support local initiatives, and add such value to our Upper Highway community.
Enjoy the read! Cheers to 100 editions, and here’s to the next 100!
The current economic climate is a time for innovation, resilience, and opportunity!
When looking for property to live or invest in, there are three key factors to consider: the price, proximity and the potential for capital growth. This panel of experts will be zoning in on the charming cosmopolitan area of Hillcrest, and discussing the lifestyle, the value-proposition for property, as well as market trends in retail and residential.
Hosted by Doody Adams of The Crest magazine, Emberton Estate’s Geoff Perkins from the Collins Group, joined a panel of experts, including; Andrew Smith of Smiths Property Group, Dave Rowles who is the developer of Watercrest Mall, Hayley Dennyson representing Waterfall Schools, Rory Wilkinson who is a planning and development specialist, and Dave Jones of Seeff Hillcrest. From the lifestyle, schools close by, the proximity and demand for family homes and rental opportunities are just a few of the topics discussed.
Take a moment to click through to our webinar and learn all you need to know about the Hillcrest area.
The social hub of Emberton Estate is without a doubt, the chic clubhouse. As an AMAFA-registered structure, the clubhouse holds tremendous historical value to the town of Hillcrest.
What was once an old, traditional farmhouse, Collins Residential, the development team behind Emberton Estate, have rejuvenated the structure, kept much of the building intact, and preserved the history. This includes preserving the original Jojoba dark wood floors and pressed ceilings and cornices. As you step into the stylish clubhouse, the high ceilings and stained-glass windows hark back to a simpler time, where farmers in Hillcrest could spend their afternoons taking in the views of the Durban beachfront from their front porch.
The team from Wylder Jane Designs brought a balance between this old-world charm and superb modern finishes in their final interior design of the completed structure. Catherine Olivier played an integral part in the process and explains the various segments of this unique location. “The inspiration of the clubhouse is a tropical colonial aesthetic. We’ve looked to compliment rich colours with natural woods, grass cloth wallpaper and earth tones.”
From the colonial paddle ceiling fans, to industrial-retro lighting in the bar area, the combination of colours and shades have been seamlessly married into an original, comprehensive design. Emberton Estate embraces an outdoor lifestyle and the use of Areca palm trees is certainly appropriate. “It’s important to bring life to an interior and using foliage is a great way to do that,” explains Olivier. “With such beautiful high ceilings, the use of palm trees brings in the height variation of scale, perspective and acoustics, which was important for this project,” Olivier continues.
The Clubhouse has become the central social hub of Emberton and the greater Hillcrest area, as the famous Ray’s Kitchen operate their restaurant within the estate. Register your interest to learn more about the available opportunities within Emberton, so you too can enjoy having this great facility within walking distance of your home.
Nestled in the heart of Hillcrest and close to popular community hotspots, Emberton Estate represents modern, convenient living for families, professionals and individuals who need a lock-up-and-go solution.
When we look at what the Hillcrest area has become, with the surge in residential, retail and commercial opportunities that continue to pop up; it is difficult to believe that this area was once a predominantly farming community of just over 1000 people. What was once a sleepy village with acres of cane fields and smallholdings, is now alive with over 13 000 people, large-scale residential estates, hospitals, malls and office blocks.
Emberton Estate not only offers a myriad of facilities for residents within walking distance of their home, the estate is situated close to a number of amenities within Hillcrest. At the very most, residents of Emberton are not more than 8km away from esteemed schools, trendy restaurants and bars, and popular shopping malls. Emberton is zoned under the Winston Park region and therefore families benefit from living close to schools such as Winston Park Primary, Hillcrest Primary and Curro.
Hillcrest is a highly sought-after node within the upper Highway area. Whether you want to explore the Hillcrest village or travel down the hill to neighbouring areas; Emberton has quick access to the M13 and Old Main Road.
When you make Emberton Estate your home, you are only a stone’s throw from the vibrant lifestyle and close-knit community of Hillcrest. Register your interest to secure your home within Emberton.
As our National Lockdown passes the halfway mark, you’re probably finding your rhythm in this new way of life. In between the busyness of daily chores, home-schooling and staying on top of work, we hope that you are finding some time to dream about the ways you want to improve home and family life when we come out on the other end? As the development team of Emberton Estate, some of the really important things in life, we believe, are family, friends, security, health, wellness and convenience. So, we decided to share our 21 reasons of why living at Emberton could be the pot of gold at the end of your rainbow. We invite you to dream with us and discover just 21 of the reasons why….
1. Dine out effortlessly – Emberton’s Clubhouse is home to Ray’s Kitchen restaurant and is within walking distance from homes.
2. There’s a history – the Clubhouse, which is now the beautifully designed restaurant and sales centre, is a restored 100-year, historic farmhouse.
3. A place to kid around – Emberton Estate boasts a beautiful kid’s play area outdoors, fit with jungle gyms and loads of space to exert their energy.
4. Hit the road – Enjoy a safe and carefree stroll or jog around the 3km dedicated pathways and trails.
5. Family first – this estate is designed around providing families with a secure place to call home.
6. Lap this lifestyle up – Boasting a heated lap pool for residents to enjoy all year round.
7. Fit and fun – Residents who enjoy being active will love using the tennis court and cricket nets.
8. School time – Emberton is zoned under the Winston Park region and therefore families benefit from living close to schools such as Winston Park Primary, Hillcrest Primary, Highbury and Curro.
9. A close network – Emberton Estate is not just about creating the perfect environment for families; it is an estate made up of a close-knit community.
10. Pets are welcome – Walk your dog along the numerous trails throughout the estate.
11. Space to grow – The beautifully designed homes throughout the estate are ideal for growing families with open-plan, modern interiors.
12. Back in a dash – Shopping trips are quick as Emberton Estate is situated only a few kilometres from shopping malls and convenient shops.
13. Carefree lifestyle – Security is paramount for all South Africans, Emberton Estate provides biometric gate access and solid boundary walls that create a secure lifestyle for all.
14. Refreshing design – Emberton Estate’s modern homes are situated in the heart of Hillcrest. Their design is not only refreshing and contemporary, but functional as they have incorporated features such as fibre to the home and prepaid meters.
15. Travel less, live more – Live within the centre of everything; where you can travel within a few minutes to schools, shopping centres and hospitals. It’s all right on your doorstep.
16. The inviting outdoors – KwaZulu-Natal boasts a warmer climate and has created a culture where individuals embrace the outdoors. Take your fitness to the next level with our uniquely designed outdoor gym.
17. Lock-up-and-go living – Professionals on the go love the effortless and secure lifestyle Emberton’s modern apartments offer.
18. The WOW factor – Emberton Estate’s freestanding homes leave homeowners in awe with the spacious interior feel and high ceiling designs. This is luxury family living in the heart of Hillcrest.
19. Location is everything – Hillcrest is a highly sought-after node within the upper Highway area. Emberton Estate is located close to the M13 highway and is less than 30-minutes away from Durban.
20. Investors dream – With only a R10 000 deposit required you can secure one of the available freestanding, duplex or apartment opportunities within Emberton Estate.
21. Flexible financing solutions – If you’re just short of a bond, speak to us! We will see what we can do to make your investment a reality.